Friday 19 June 2009

Slow time and times past

Ooooh catchy title.

Well, I'm back. Point of fact I did't go away just had a very, very busy time. Yes, I did get back from the holiday - in fact I'm going away again in september - changed jobs (not company) and have had, well, generally another year of family life. So, with that out of the way what am I up to now?

VHS (or what does rewind mean daddy?)

Many, many, many, many (yes, they get the picture) moons ago (well 15 years actually - eep!) I had a great interest in TV.

Well, still do in fact.

Probably too much based on certain aspects of my... (get on with it!) .. ah yes!

I used to like TV. So, VCRs being mostly all there was at the time, I had two and tried to capture every cult scifi / fantasy show going onto them. I succeeded horribly well and had around 600+ VHS video tapes.

Ranging from almost all the surviving Dr Who (Classic show - not the new stuff) courtesy of UK Gold in startling analogue sparkly satellite quality via M*A*S*H through to the Bryan Brown show "The Wanderer" I had stacks of the stuff.

Now, 15+ years later some of this has fallen by the wayside, some has been jettisoned when moving and moving and then moving again. Some wasnt allowed to be kept by members of my immediate family who have immesurably better taste than me but some, ahh, some is still with me.

Sure, over the past 5 years I've meant to convert it to DVD or DiVX or XVID but, with VCR failures, capture card issues or simply the fun of being a daddy, 38 and in full time employment with additional work outside of hours it, well, didnt happen.

So now I've finally started to set about these tapes with a passion. I've set up the (now retired from daily use) DVD Recorder in my office I've hooked up the VCR I bought to do this 5 years ago and, thanks to some forums, I've picked up a rather nice JVC SVHS deck to speed things along.

So now to the fun...

No comments: